Resource allocation and extracellular acid–base status in the sea urchin Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis in response to CO2 induced seawater acidification
Stumpp, Meike, Trübenbach, Katja, Brennecke, D., Hu, Marian Yong-An and Melzner, Frank (2012) Resource allocation and extracellular acid–base status in the sea urchin Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis in response to CO2 induced seawater acidification Aquatic Toxicology, 110-111 . pp. 194-207. DOI 10.1016/j.aquatox.2011.12.020.
Resource.pdf - Published Version
Restricted to Registered users only
Download (803Kb) | Contact
Anthropogenic CO2 emission will lead to an increase in seawater pCO(2) of up to 80-100 Pa (800-1000 mu atm) within this century and to an acidification of the oceans. Green sea urchins (Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis) occurring in Kattegat experience seasonal hypercapnic and hypoxic conditions already today. Thus, anthropogenic CO2 emissions will add up to existing values and will lead to even higher pCO(2) values >200 Pa (>2000 mu atm). To estimate the green sea urchins' potential to acclimate to acidified seawater, we calculated an energy budget and determined the extracellular acid base status of adult S. droebachiensis exposed to moderately (102-145 Pa, 1007-1431 mu atm) and highly (284-385 Pa, 2800-3800 mu atm) elevated seawater pCO(2) for 10 and 45 days.
A 45-day exposure to elevated pCO(2) resulted in a shift in energy budgets, leading to reduced somatic and reproductive growth. Metabolic rates were not significantly affected, but ammonium excretion increased in response to elevated pCO(2). This led to decreased O:N ratios. These findings suggest that protein metabolism is possibly enhanced under elevated pCO(2) in order to support ion homeostasis by increasing net acid extrusion. The perivisceral coelomic fluid acid-base status revealed that S. droebachiensis is able to fully (intermediate pCO(2)) or partially (high pCO(2)) compensate extracellular pH (pH(e)) changes by accumulation of bicarbonate (maximum increases 2.5 mM), albeit at a slower rate than typically observed in other taxa (10-day duration for full pH(e) compensation). At intermediate pCO(2), sea urchins were able to maintain fully compensated pH(e) for 45 days. Sea urchins from the higher pCO(2) treatment could be divided into two groups following medium-term acclimation: one group of experimental animals (29%) contained remnants of food in their digestive system and maintained partially compensated pH(e) (+2.3 mM HCO3-), while the other group (71%) exhibited an empty digestive system and a severe metabolic acidosis (-0.5 pH units, -2.4 mM HCO3-). There was no difference in mortality between the three pCO(2) treatments.
The results of this study suggest that S. droebachiensis occurring in the Kattegat might be pre-adapted to hypercapnia due to natural variability in pCO(2) in its habitat. We show for the first time that some echinoderm species can actively compensate extracellular pH. Seawater pCO(2) values of >200 Pa, which will occur in the Kattegat within this century during seasonal hypoxic events, can possibly only be endured for a short time period of a few weeks. Increases in anthropogenic CO2 emissions and leakages from potential sub-seabed CO2 storage (CCS) sites thus impose a threat to the ecologically and economically important species S. droebachiensis.
|Keywords:||Energy budget; Feeding; O/N ratio; pH(e) compensation; Climate change; Ocean acidification; LYTECHINUS-VARIEGATUS ECHINODERMATA; ECHINOCARDIUM-CORDATUM SPATANGOIDA; OCEAN ACIDIFICATION; PSAMMECHINUS-MILIARIS; ENVIRONMENTAL HYPERCAPNIA; FEED-INTAKE; ENERGY-METABOLISM; SEASONAL-CHANGES; ORGANIC-MATTER; MYTILUS-EDULIS|
|Research affiliation:||OceanRep > The Future Ocean - Cluster of Excellence
OceanRep > GEOMAR > FB3 Marine Ecology > FB3-EOE-B Experimental Ecology - Benthic Ecology
|Open Access Journal?:||No|
|Projects:||BIOACID, ECO2, Future Ocean|
|Date Deposited:||13 Nov 2012 12:22|
|Last Modified:||26 May 2016 11:20|
Actions (login required)
Document DownloadsMore statistics for this item...
Copyright 2013 | GEOMAR Helmholtz-Zentrum für Ozeanforschung Kiel | All rights reserved
Questions, comments and suggestions regarding the GEOMAR repository are welcomed
at email@example.com !